Nvidia GPU as the primary display

Performance monster with NVIDIA RTX 3080M!
Nephilim

Nvidia GPU as the primary display

Post by Nephilim »

Hi everyone

I just received my pc, and upon installing the provided modded Nvidia drivers for the RTX 3070M 16GB, I'm now wondering whether you can set the Nvidia GPU to be your primary display GPU. As of now, the Intel Iris Graphics is the primary, but it has the problem that you can't get 4k@120Hz.

I've tried editing the primary GPU in the BIOS to be the PEG Slot (PCIe Graphics Slot) but any editing of BIOS ends up killing the display, where it fails to post until I reset BIOS. Also, is there any BIOS update available for the board model? My PC doesn't show the board manufacturer, so I'm in the dark.
gprcomputer

Re: Nvidia GPU as the primary display

Post by gprcomputer »

This may not be the correct thing to do for this particular system but couldn't you simply disable the iGPU in device manager? Which port are you using for display out?

Do you have this option? NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Preferred graphics processor setting.
TVHD

Post by TVHD »

As far as I've understood the selection of the primary GPU is a Windows per application setting.
Attachments
Selection (primary GPU)png.png
Selection (primary GPU)png.png (123.31 KiB) Viewed 2283 times
Here To Learn And To Share
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

gprcomputer wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:46 am Which port are you using for display out?
I am using one of the two HDMI ports. Are certain ports configured to the iGPU/dGPU?
gprcomputer wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:46 am Do you have this option? NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Preferred graphics processor setting.
I do, and I have already set it to the Nvidia GPU, but it does state there that Windows settings possesses override capability of the primary GPU.
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

TVHD wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 3:18 am As far as I've understood the selection of the primary GPU is a Windows per application setting.
I see. So there is no way to completely eliminate the iGPU from the mix, as you would in a desktop PC?
barry777

Post by barry777 »

It is recommended not to change BIOS related settings.
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

barry777 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:56 am It is recommended not to change BIOS related settings.
So are there no BIOS firmware files available? I just want something that will identify my motherboard information to the system. I got the barebones version, so nothing came programmed beforehand.
TVHD

Post by TVHD »

Please have a look at this post https://www.minipcunion.com/viewtopic.p ... 04fb28a5b9 , which I consider as highly valuable.
Here To Learn And To Share
Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

gprcomputer wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 2:46 am This may not be the correct thing to do for this particular system but couldn't you simply disable the iGPU in device manager?
Tried this. It merely switched to the Microsoft Basic Display Driver.

Return to “Intel® i9-12900H/12700H(TANK 03 M1A )”