Conducting Research on Mini PC Model Preferences

Come hang out and discuss tech related content! Please check other subforums before posting.

Which model do you prefer?

A. Vertical model
38%
B. Horizontal model
63%

Total votes: 8

barry777

Conducting Research on Mini PC Model Preferences

Post by barry777 »

As a manufacturer of Mini PCs, understanding customer needs and preferences is key to our product design and market strategy. This research report will explore from two perspectives: the same type of CPU in Mini PCs, and whether consumers prefer vertical or horizontal models.

In the Mini PC market, the performance of the processor (CPU) is one of the key points of concern for consumers. Currently, our product line mainly carries Intel Core or AMD processors to meet consumers with different performance requirements.

Our Mini PC product line includes vertical and horizontal models. The vertical model has a small footprint, suitable for environments with limited space; the horizontal model usually has better heat dissipation performance, able to provide more stable operation performance.

For example: AMD Ryzen™ 7 5700U Processor

Vertical model
AMR5.png
AMR5.png (297.38 KiB) Viewed 456 times

Horizontal model
AM06 Pro.png
AM06 Pro.png (176.39 KiB) Viewed 456 times

Please click this link to fill in the relevant content

In general, Mini PCs with the same type of CPU, vertical and horizontal models each have their advantages, and consumers’ choices will depend on their specific needs and usage environment. Therefore, we, when designing and producing Mini PCs, will fully consider the diverse needs of consumers to provide products that are more in line with market demand. At the same time, we will continue to pay attention to market dynamics and consumer feedback in order to adjust our product strategy in a timely manner and better meet consumer needs.
dragonpoo

Re: Conducting Research on Mini PC Model Preferences

Post by dragonpoo »

I'm going to vote on both the Google form, and this forum thread. However, I feel it requires more of a discussion, rather than a simple "A or B" answer.

I like the look of vertical standing systems like the AMR5. It has a wider base and feels stable as it stands. For my purposes, vertical systems place great on a small desktop (I have three systems standing next to a vertical HDMI switcher). Most of my systems only have power and a single NIC plugged in, and I remote into them for most needs, using HDMI or USB for keyboard/mouse only when necessary to recover a system. Stability is also important, as having too many cables sticking out of a vertical system can cause it to fall over.

Most systems are designed to sit flat on a desktop, horizontally. Looking at my T8, which has ports or buttons on all four faces, it can't stand vertically. Others have ventilation on sides without ports, which work better when flat. Barry's post refers to heat dissipation, which is critical with computers - high heat means performance degradation or even physical damage.

As long as the system is designed to stay cool in either format, I like the flexibility of allowing a user to rotate it either way. Otherwise, it depends on the design of the system, much like gaming consoles.
GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AMR5 (R5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB) | AD03 (N95/8GB/256GB) | CK10 (i7-10810U/16GB/512GB) | S1 (N95/16GB/512GB)
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

dragonpoo,

I'm more to the opposite side. While I do like my AMR5, and it does have a very stable design, I find my S1 to be quite unstable in the vertical position. If I didn't frequently use the USB ports, or I instead used a hub, it would likely be okay, but I often found myself nearly tipping it over when I would be doing something with it, so I use it horizontally. Perhaps if there was a way to connect the magnetic base in a more solid way it would be different, as it would be more stable. Perhaps a couple of screws with a steel plate or permanently affixed nuts inside the unit to accept them, making it stronger than what threaded holes in its plastic body would give. I'm not going to personally try altering it. I just meant as a design alteration from the factory.

But overall, I just like horizontal configuration more, as it's what I'm used to with mini PCs. Plus, I keep one on top of my Mac Mini so I can quickly change to the other when I need to. The main attraction of the AMR5 was that it was so different that practically every other mini PC at the time. That 'wow' factor. I still do use it for PC games though, as with the exception of AM06 Pro, which has identical CPU and RAM as my AMR5 and which I also have PC games on, the others are a bit too inadequate for PC gaming, even with the older games I have.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
dragonpoo

Post by dragonpoo »

Totally agree with you about the tipping factor, Gabe. I mentioned it before about stability. It was just more of a uniqueness in design, that I like the looks of vertical/standing systems better. However, considering how many large PCs come as towers, I guess that's less unique than I suggest.

End result is, I'm happy either way, depending on the design of the system. :)
GK3V (J4125/8GB/128GB) | AMR5 (R5 5600U/16GB/512GB NVMe) | JK06 (N5100/8GB/256GB) | AK1Pro (N5105/8GB/256GB) | T8Pro (N5095/8GB/256GB) | AD03 (N95/8GB/256GB) | CK10 (i7-10810U/16GB/512GB) | S1 (N95/16GB/512GB)
dragonpoo

Post by dragonpoo »

Of all the mini PC designs we've discussed, I admit I didn't expect something so.... futuristic?

https://www.acemagic.com/pages/presale-starship-mini-pc
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

dragonpoo wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 2:21 am Of all the mini PC designs we've discussed, I admit I didn't expect something so.... futuristic?

https://www.acemagic.com/pages/presale-starship-mini-pc
I saw a post from them on Facebook about that unit yesterday. It's unique looking, that's for sure!
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
gprcomputer

Post by gprcomputer »

Horizontal for stability, plus I'm a bit nostalgic over that form factor. That M2A is a weird one, can't wait to see it's specs. Hope it's affordable!

Return to “General Discussion”