High CPU Usage

Quick Fix.
Aaltan

High CPU Usage

Post by Aaltan »

Hi there,
yesterday I've received my ACEPC AK3V, after Win10 configuration process, I've noticed that CPU usage is always at 95-98% with no heavy programs running.
I've tried to disable startup programs and services, reinstalled Windows 10 from scratch (using AK1_2004_Pro_X64_3165D_en_de_es_fr_it_ru_zh_20201023.7z file), but nothing changed: CPU usage is still too high and fan is ever on.
Please tell me what I've to do to fix the problem.

Thank you.

Marco.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Re: High CPU Usage

Post by Gabe »

Check your Task Manager (CTRL + ALT + DEL) to see if it shows you what's causing the high CPU usage in the Processes tab. Clicking on the CPU header will cause it to sort the processes by the percentage of CPU they're using. Make sure to have it sorting the processes so that what's using the most CPU, not the least, are on top. To reverse the order, click the CPU header again.

If you don't see any options in the Task Manager, click "More Details" on its lower left.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (121.77 KiB) Viewed 3496 times
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
Aaltan

Post by Aaltan »

Hi Gabe,
thank you for your quick reply.
Just to explain: It doesn't matter what it's on top of list, in this case is 'Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry', but the PC is doing nothing:
One.png
One.png (46.83 KiB) Viewed 3491 times
This is another example taken when AK3V is doing almost nothing, except writing this post:
Two.png
Two.png (60.05 KiB) Viewed 3491 times
...and so on:
Three.png
Three.png (40.13 KiB) Viewed 3491 times
I'm configuring this PC as a replace for a ten years old Ubuntu's one (Celeron CPU and 2GB Ram).
It have to use a lightweight java program written by me and an E-Mail client (Thunderbird), but having this behaviour, AK3V is slower than old Ubuntu's one and virtually unusable.
I've used several PC in my last 20 working years, but never seen a CPU usage like this one, please tell me waht I've to do to resolve this annoying situation.

Thank you in advance.

Aaltan (aka Marco)
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Post by Gabe »

Aaltan,

Just... WOW. Normally you see one thing causing this type of issue, but with yours it doesn't seem to matter. Something is ALWAYS pegging the CPU. Very odd, to say the least.

I wonder if it could be something having to do with the power management (Settings > System > Power & sleep > Additional power settings (on right of page)). I'm make sure it's on Balanced. You can also check to see what the CPU settings are, if they show, but they may not. To do so, click "Change plan settings" to the right of Balanced, then "Change advanced power settings" on the next page. Hopefully you'll be able to see "Processor power management" in the popup, and "Minimum processor state" in that setting, as this is what you'd want to check to make sure it's not set at 100%. Unfortunately, sometimes the Processor power management settings are hidden, and I can't remember a safe way to show them so they can be adjusted, if needs be.

Hopefully the admin will have some ideas. He won't be back until tomorrow night, I believe.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
maleko48

Post by maleko48 »

Aaltan wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:44 am ...
I'm configuring this PC as a replace for a ten years old Ubuntu's one (Celeron CPU and 2GB Ram).
It have to use a lightweight java program written by me and an E-Mail client (Thunderbird), but having this behaviour, AK3V is slower than old Ubuntu's one and virtually unusable.
I've used several PC in my last 20 working years, but never seen a CPU usage like this one, please tell me waht I've to do to resolve this annoying situation.

Thank you in advance.

Aaltan (aka Marco)
Have you at least performed a clean vanilla install of Windows 10 after getting your unit by going to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10 and downloading the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool, generating a clean, current Win10 ISO, wiping all partitions on your hard disk and re-installing Windows 10 from scratch using the freshly pressed ISO on a bootable USB thumb drive?
witt

Post by witt »

The CPU occupancy rate has been 100%, you can check this video tutorial for reference

Aaltan

Post by Aaltan »

Thank you Maleko48 and Witt, but problem isn't solved.
@Maleko48: I haven't tried to install a clean vanilla Windows 10 from official Microsoft site because i'm pretty sure it can't recognize the OEM license, but I've installed official ACEPC image two times, starting from scratch.

@Witt: I've followed the tutorial with no luck, so I've decided to delete the scheduled task but 'High CPU Usage' issue is still present, these are the sole scheduled processes running now:
OP.png
OP.png (92.83 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
I've tried to disable almost all non necessary services and startup program with no significant results, I think it's a BIOS or hardware problem.
Please tell me if there's something else I can try (i.e. changing some BIOS parameters or flash a newer firmware) or I've to return the PC back to get another non defective one or a refund.

Thank you in advance.

Aaltan
maleko48

Post by maleko48 »

Aaltan wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:25 pm Thank you Maleko48 and Witt, but problem isn't solved.
@Maleko48: I haven't tried to install a clean vanilla Windows 10 from official Microsoft site because i'm pretty sure it can't recognize the OEM license, but I've installed official ACEPC image two times, starting from scratch.

@Witt: I've followed the tutorial with no luck, so I've decided to delete the scheduled task but 'High CPU Usage' issue is still present, these are the sole scheduled processes running now:

OP.png

I've tried to disable almost all non necessary services and startup program with no significant results, I think it's a BIOS or hardware problem.
Please tell me if there's something else I can try (i.e. changing some BIOS parameters or flash a newer firmware) or I've to return the PC back to get another non defective one or a refund.

Thank you in advance.

Aaltan
You don't have to worry about registration on Windows 10 much these days as it is mostly all automated based on your machine's hardware ID that is generated based on your unique hardware signature and fully managed on Microsoft's end.

The first thing I do when receiving ANY computer, even brand new, is reformat from scratch using a freshly-pressed end-user ISO on a bootable thumb drive. I have done so on my GK3 model (multiple Windows 10 reinstallations since receiving it) and had no negative issues with registration upon reinstallation of Windows 10. In fact, it is a better experience if you install Windows without connecting to any internet (wired or wireless) as the M$ Win10 setup wizard will then allow you to proceed setting up and getting to your desktop without having to create a Microsoft account in the process.

One thing to note however, is that you will likely need to manually install all of your machine-specific drivers. If you need guidance on that I can help you, but it is quite easy with the AcePC provided driver download pack here on the forums (at least it was for my GK3 model).
Aaltan

Post by Aaltan »

Hi Maleko48 and thank you,
as you suggested, i've created an USB key using Window's MediaCreationTool, started AK3V keeping 'F7' key pressed, erased all present partitions, created new ones using all spaces by default and installed Windows 10 Pro; result: nothing changed.
As I supposed the High CPU usage issue is still there.
Now I hope someone can help me giving some tips to change some BIOS parameters or installing a new BIOS version, else I see no alterntives to give the AK3V back and take another one, hoping this isn't a model defect but only on mine.
maleko48

Post by maleko48 »

Aaltan wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:46 am Hi Maleko48 and thank you,
as you suggested, i've created an USB key using Window's MediaCreationTool, started AK3V keeping 'F7' key pressed, erased all present partitions, created new ones using all spaces by default and installed Windows 10 Pro; result: nothing changed.
As I supposed the High CPU usage issue is still there.
Now I hope someone can help me giving some tips to change some BIOS parameters or installing a new BIOS version, else I see no alterntives to give the AK3V back and take another one, hoping this isn't a model defect but only on mine.
Hmm, ok. Did you manually install all of the AK series drivers located here:

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=706

When you bring up your device manager, do you have any line items with yellow :!: by them?

Return to “Troubleshooting”