Windows 11 Installations - BE CAREFUL!!!

Quick Fix.
Gabe
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Windows 11 Installations - BE CAREFUL!!!

Post by Gabe »

It seems that, as of late, there is an increasing number of 'bad guys' taking advantage of those who have systems that don't officially support Windows 11. They're doing so by creating installation cracks/programs that include ransomware. An unsuspecting person downloads the crack, uses it to upgrade to Windows 11, then finds that all of their important data and files are locked.

So be careful! If you do want to install Windows 11 on an unsupported system, the best method to use is Microsoft's, as in the registry tweak they give instructions for, which you can find here. This way there's no worrying about whether a tool could be 'infected' with ransomware.

In addition, Rufus is one of the more popular methods of achieving this, as they have created a 'No TPM/No Secure Boot' option with their tool, but if you choose to use this method make darn sure that you download Rufus from a reputable source, as this particular tool is one of the ways these 'bad guys' are doing what they're doing.

And as always, the most important thing you can do before an upgrade is to BACK UP YOUR DATA.
W8 Pro • GK1 • AK3 • AM02 • T6 Pro • AMR5 • GK3 Pro • AD03 • AM06 Pro • T8 Pro • S1 • T8 Plus • CK10
I have no connection to ACEMAGIC other than being a customer and long time forum member
SarahAnnJones

Re: Windows 11 Installations - BE CAREFUL!!!

Post by SarahAnnJones »

My GK3V computer is only a year old, and yet amazingly it is unable to run Windows 11.
Every requirement is satisfied apart from the 'Secure Boot', which is apparently 'Not Supported'; certainly there is nothing in the BIOS to enable it.
Did I make an expensive mistake in buying this thing, or is there a legitimate way around it, maybe a BIOS upgrade which includes Secure Boot?
If not, do I bin this computer or try some of the the 'hacks' out there?
Servo128

Post by Servo128 »

If Acepc released the bios to fix Secure Boot, there would be no risk to Acepc customers because they could use the official release.
SarahAnnJones

Post by SarahAnnJones »

UPDATE!
I emailed AcePC yesterday about a possible BIOS upgrade, and got a reply at 4am today from 'Nick' asking for my order details, date of purchase, etc.
My enquiry might go no further, but I've sent him the details he asked for and we'll see what (if anything) happens next.
Servo128

Post by Servo128 »

SarahAnnJones wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:06 pm UPDATE!
I emailed AcePC yesterday about a possible BIOS upgrade, and got a reply at 4am today from 'Nick' asking for my order details, date of purchase, etc.
My enquiry might go no further, but I've sent him the details he asked for and we'll see what (if anything) happens next.
Hi Sarah. I went through the same with support, and "Nick" was the one who replied to me.
He said there were no plans for a bios upgrade and I should come here for "Fixes" to install windows 11

If you bought the machine from Amazon you have 28 days to return it, and I would go for the more expensive fanless one, that is windows 11 ready
no bios update required
SarahAnnJones

Post by SarahAnnJones »

Ah well I bought mine in April, so far too late to think about returning it. Also, I bought it from Amazon and they don't even sell them anymore.
simonelombardo

Post by simonelombardo »

Last edited by simonelombardo on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SarahAnnJones

Post by SarahAnnJones »

While I'm waiting for 'Nick' to fix everything for me (although we all know he won't!), I've done some digging around and found an upgrade for the AMI Aptio BIOS from version 5.13 to 5.14.
At this stage I should mention the sum total of my knowledge and understanding here is less than zero, and I am aware that I could easily brick my computer. I downloaded an upgrade utility from AMI and opened it briefly (see screenshot) and then closed it again. I also have a PDF overview of the tool, and a detailed 41 page manual.
If anyone smarter and braver than me wants to try this, let me know and I'll pass it along to you.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-26 163559.jpg
Screenshot 2021-10-26 163559.jpg (67.49 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
simonelombardo

Post by simonelombardo »

-
Last edited by simonelombardo on Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

SarahAnnJones wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:46 pm While I'm waiting for 'Nick' to fix everything for me (although we all know he won't!), I've done some digging around and found an upgrade for the AMI Aptio BIOS from version 5.13 to 5.14.
At this stage I should mention the sum total of my knowledge and understanding here is less than zero, and I am aware that I could easily brick my computer. I downloaded an upgrade utility from AMI and opened it briefly (see screenshot) and then closed it again. I also have a PDF overview of the tool, and a detailed 41 page manual.
If anyone smarter and braver than me wants to try this, let me know and I'll pass it along to you.
Oh dear SarahAnn Jones. We need to wait for the BIOS file to be updated. The good news is that I have obtained the BIOS file with secure boot. You can contact me via private chat or email (unattachedjfmy@gmail.com) and add your BIOS main interface in the attachment. After that, I will provide you with the latest BIOS file based on your BIOS version. Sorry to make you wait.
Thanks for joining the forum fans, we will become friends here. Any suggestions about the forum I am open to hearing.

Return to “Troubleshooting”